Friday, April 16, 2010

Chesterton

I've been reading G.K. Chesterton like crazy lately.  If I believed in reincarnation I would be fairly certain that a small, diminished part of Chesterton's soul found it's way into me.  I am constantly surprised at how perfectly he describes the things I've always known and felt, but never heard adequately expressed.

It's surprising that someone writing at the turn of the 20th century can be so relevant today, but it really shouldn't be.  Since human nature is unchanging, it's utterly predictable that we would continue to have all the same old arguments dressed up in new clothes.

Everyone should read him.  Everyone.  I'm reading Heretics right now in Volume 1 of his collected works.  It was written before his conversion to Catholicism and is the lesser-known predecessor to his more famous Orthodoxy.  His arguments are so stunning that I've decided to collect and read each volume of his collected works.  There are about 35 volumes.  Should be a fun "bucket list"-type undertaking.

Julie would make fun of me for using the word "fun" to describe it, but hey...to each his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment